Data Protection Notice for Job Applicants to Positions as Employees
HiiL Innovation Hub East Africa, locally incorporated as Communitas Limited hereinafter referred to as “us” or “we”, which seeks to fill a position for which you have applied and which would be the employing entity in case you were offered employment, will, as a rule, be the data controller (within the meaning of section 2 of the Data Protection Act, 2019 under laws of Kenya, Article 3 of Law Nº 058/2021 of 13/10/2021 Relating to The Protection of Personal Data and Privacy in Rwanda and Article 4 (7) of the EU Regulation 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of Personal Data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC, hereinafter referred to as the “GDPR”), responsible for the processing of your personal data described in this Hiring Notice with exceptions set out in Article 46 (2) of the GDPR in relation to transfer of data to third parties in accordance with the law.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who applies for employment with us.
As regards any information collected, analysed, disclosed and other processing of your personal data during the recruitment process with us, we commit to the following:
- Processing the information in accordance with the right to your right to privacy.
- Processing the information lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.
- Collected information will be for explicit, specified and legitimate hiring purposes and not further processed in a manner incompatible with those purposes.
- Ensure the information is adequate, relevant, limited to what is necessary in relation to the hiring purposes for which it is processed.
- Provide a valid explanation whenever information relating to family or private affairs is required.
- Keep accurate information and, where necessary, kept up to date, with every reasonable step being taken to ensure that any inaccurate personal data is erased or rectified without delay.
- Keep information in a form which identifies the applicants for no longer than is necessary for the purposes which it was collected; and not transferred outside the country of hiring, unless there is proof of adequate data protection safeguards or consent from the applicant.
We further commit to respecting and protecting your data rights below:
- Right to be informed of the use to which your personal data is to be put.
- Right to access their personal data in our custody.
- Right to object to the processing of all or part of your personal data.
- Right to correction of false or misleading data; and
- Right to deletion of false or misleading data about you.
If you are offered and accept employment with us, we will collect more information about you and make other uses of your information – this will be explained to you as part of the onboarding process and be addressed by a separate notice, the General Data Protection Notice to Employees if the case arises, and you will then also be provided with further data protection notices setting out additional information on individual processing activities, such as processing of your personal data in the context of performance management tools and performance management processes, if and as applicable.
Nothing in this Data Protection Notice (the “Notice”) shall be construed as an offer of employment or other contract with us. It is for information purposes under the Data Protection Act, 2019 under laws of Kenya, Law Nº 058/2021 of 13/10/2021 Relating to The Protection of Personal Data and Privacy in Rwanda and GDPR.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Subscribing to our newsletter gives you the latest articles on justice, opportunities and events.