HiiL Innovation Hub – East Africa is a social enterprise dedicated to finding and supporting the most promising justice entrepreneurs in East Africa. We seek startups that solve people’s justice problems and aspire for them to have access to justice at work, at home, in their neighbourhoods, and in business.
We support startups that empower people with break-through innovations to create better:
- working conditions with their employer
- separation terms with their spouse
- protection against theft, fraud, and violence
- arrangements about noise, damages, and property access with their neighbour
- housing maintenance and rent conditions with their landlord
- agreements on ownership, registration, and use of land
- contracts, fraud protection, and compliance for their small business.
Jenga Haki 2022
Jenga Haki is a programme that aims to challenge individuals to come up with innovative solutions around preventing or resolving certain justice issues using technology. The solutions are based on a theme that changes every year.
The Theme for this year is: how do you use technology to prevent or resolve justice problems around the family
The objective is to get people to innovate around the theme. They are encouraged to do so in teams of at least 3 people. The idea of having a team is to ensure that the solution developed is all rounded and practical and that is why we encourage teams of individuals with diverse academic backgrounds.
The teams will have a chance to build a prototype and test it and at the end of the program the teams will pitch in front of a 4 member jury and the top 3 teams will receive an award of 1,000 euros to the winner, 750 euros to the first runners up and 500 euros to the second runner up.
Are you are interested in being part of the programme?
Who are we looking for?
The programme is suitable for a team that:
- Have a minimum of 3 members with multidisciplinary backgrounds specifically;
- Law/Legal background
- Business knowledge or social science background such as sociology, psychology
- Have IT or Software development experience
- Members of the team must be above 18 years of age
- Members of the team must be residents or citizens of the respective countries at the time of application.
- The teams should develop solutions around the family justice catalogue in Kenya, Rwanda and Somalia.
- Domestic or gender based violence
- Land rights and inheritance
- Separation or divorce
- Child support or custody
What do we offer?
The Jenga Haki program offers a eleven week long programme that provides the selected teams with:
- Masterclasses of between 4 (2 hour sessions) during the first week. The Masterclasses will be on;
- Human-centered design or Designing for your User
- User Testing
- Pitching and Presentation
- 2 weeks of mentorship as the teams design, develop and test their prototype.
- Pitching of the innovations during the Demo day in front of a 4 member Jury.
- A chance to win grant funding of 1000 Euros to the winner, 750 euros to the first runners up and 500 euros to the 2nd runners up of the Demo event.
- For Somalia and Somaliland, a chance for 2 winners to win USD 1000.
If you are interested in being part of the programme please apply today.
Friday 21st October 2022 at 23:59 CAT for Rwanda
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Subscribing to our newsletter gives you the latest articles on justice, opportunities and events.